Thursday, May 23, 2013

WHEN TIME COMES CREEPING


When I noticed your ad in the Fra, asking for selections for your edition of "Heart Throbs" Volume Two, there came to my mind lines written long ago by Elizabeth Gould, which appealed to me because they are so pathetic and so true, for we forget that the inward craving of old age conceives of no apology and knows no reason why the old time caress should be a thing of the past. I recall the lines, but do not remember that there was any title to the same.

Put -your arm around me­
There, like that;
I want a little petting, at life's setting,
For 'tis harder to be brave,
When old time comes creeping,
And finds us weeping,
Loved ones gone;
Just a little petting, at life's setting,
For I'm old, alone, and tired,
And my long life's work is done.
Elizabeth Gould

No comments:

Post a Comment