Sunday, June 29, 2014

the flapper's petition, and the lawyer's reply

I want the lights that brightly shine,
 I want the men, I want the wine,
 I want the fun without the price,
I want to be naughty and still be nice.
 I want the thrill of the first long kiss,
 I want the things the good girls miss,
 I want the arms and heart of a man,
 And still stay single if I can.
So, as a lawyer, give me advice,
 On how to be naughty and still be nice.
 I want to do what other girls do,
 Tease 'em, cuddle, and bill and coo.
Blacken my brows and powder my nose,
 Rouge my cheeks to rival the rose,
 Pencil my eyelashes, redden my lip,
 Carry a flask upon my hip.
Tango a bit and Charleston a lot,
 Park my corsets when the weather's hot,
 Ride and swim, golf and skate,
Take the fence instead of the gate.
Break all rules, yes, all but one,
And be good and true when the game is done;
 I don't like pepper, but I do like spice,
I want to be naughty and still be nice.

-Unknown

THE LAWYER'S REPLY

The advice I give is sure and true,
You can't eat your pie and have it, too.
If you want the men and want the wine,
You must pay the price while you love and dine.
 If at first one yields to a moment's bliss,
 Why the next must be a longer kiss;
If you want the arms of a man of heart,
 It is his to give that certain part.
If you want the things the good girls miss,
 Then you've got to be wiser than most girls, sis;
 So watch your step, is my advice, I
f you want to be naughty and still be nice.
 Go to it, kid, with your grease and paint,
To make you look just what you ain't;
Shimmy and drink to your heart's content,
And be hugged and squeezed till your ribs are bent.
Park your clothes on a hickory limb,
But never, my dear, go in to swim;
Stay, if you will, on the dewy green,
But you can't use mud and come out clean.
 The game you play is a man's long suit,
 Since first he nibbled forbidden fruit,
 Whatever you get, you pay the price,
You can't be naughty and still be nice

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment