Friday, July 18, 2014

Robert Louis Stevenson gives his birthday to a little girl

Robert Louis Stevenson, Advocate of the Scots Bar, author of The Master of Ballantrae and Moral Emblems, stuck civil engineer, sole owner and potentate of the Palace and Plantation known as Vailima on the island of Upolu, Samoa, a British subject, being in sound mind, and pretty well, I thank you, in body:
 In consideration that Miss Annie H. Ide, daughter of H. C. Ide, the town of Saint Johnsbury; in the county of Caledonia, in the State of Vermont, United States of America, was born, out of all reason, upon Christmas Day, and is therefore out of all justice denied the consolation and profit of a proper birthday;
 And, considering that I, the said Robert Louis Stevenson, having attained an age when Oh, we never mention it, and that I have now no further use for a birthday of any description;
 And, in consideration that I have met H. C. Ide, the father of the said Annie H. Ide, and found him about as white a land commissioner as I require:
 Have transferred, and do hereby transfer, to the said Annie H. Ide, all and whole my rights and privileges in the thirteenth day of November, formerly my birthday, now, hereby and henceforth, the birthday of the said Annie H. Ide, to have, to hold, exercise, and enjoy the same in the customary manner, by the sporting of fine raiment, eating of rich meats, and receipt of gifts, compliments, and copies of verse, according to the manner of our ancestors;
 And I direct, the said Annie H. Ide to add to the same name of Annie H. Ide the name Louisa-at least in private;
and I charge her to use my said birthday with moderation and humanity et tamquam bona {ilia familiae, the said birthday not being so young as it once was, and having carried me in a very satisfactory manner since I can remember;
 And in case the said Annie H. Ide shall neglect or contravene either of the above conditions, I hereby revoke the donation and transfer my rights in the said birthday to the President of the United States of America for the time being;
 In witness whereof I have hereto set my hand and seal this nineteenth day of June in the year of grace eighteen hundred and ninety-one.
 ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON

Witness, Lloyd Osbourne
 Witness, Harold Watts.

No comments:

Post a Comment