Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Caisson Song

Over hill, over dale, we have hit the dusty trail,
And those caissons go rolling along.
In and out, hear them shout,
 "Counter march and right about!"
 And those caissons go rolling along.

Chorus:
Then it's hi! hi! hi! heel in the field artillery,
Sound off your numbers loud and strong
Where e'er you go you will always know
That those caissons are rolling along.
Keep them rolling!
 And those caissons go rolling along

Then it's Battery Halt!
 Through the storm, through the night,
 up to where the dough¬boys fight,
 All our caissons go rolling along.
At zero we'll be there, answering every call and flare,
 While our caissons go rolling along.

Cavalry, boot to boot, we will join in the pursuit,
 While the caissons go rolling along.
Action front, at a trot; volley fire with shell and shot
While those caissons go rolling along.
But if fate me should call, and in action I should fall,
 And those caissons go rolling along.

Fire at will, lay' em low, never stop for any foe,
 While those caissons go rolling along.
But if fate me should call, and in action I should fail,
 Keep those caissons a-rolling along.
Then in peace I'll abide when I take my final ride
 On a caisson that's rolling along.

Major Edmund L. Gruber

No comments:

Post a Comment