Friday, July 18, 2014

Break the news to mother

While the shot and shell were screaming on the battlefield,
The boys in blue were fighting their noble flag to shield;
 Came a cry from their brave captain, "Look, boys! our flag is down;
 Who'll volunteer to save it from disgrace?"
 "I will," a young voice shouted, "I'll bring it back or die,"
 Then sprang into the thickest of the fray,
 Saved the flag but gave his Young life; all for his country's sake.
 They brought him back and softly heard him say:"

 Chorus:
"Just break the news to mother, She knows how dear I love her,
 And tell her not to wait for me, For I'm not coming home;
 Just say there is no other, Can take the place of mother;
 Then kiss her dear, sweet lips for me, And break the news to her."

 From. afar a noted general had witnessed this brave deed.
 "Who' saved our flag? Speak up, lads; 'twas noble, brave, indeed!"
 "There he lies, sir," said the captain, "he's sinking very fast,"
 Then! slowly turned away to hide a tear.
The general, in a moment; knelt down beside the boy;
Then gave a cry that touch'd all hearts that day.
"It's my son, my brave, young hero; I thought you safe at home."

 "Forgive me, Father, for I ran away."

Charles K. Harris¬

No comments:

Post a Comment