Sunday, July 6, 2014

Pontius Pilate speaks

I hoped to hear, through calls importunate,
 But yet another sound as moments passed,
A sudden clamor at the outer gate
 To tell me that his friends had come at last.
Where were they all? Why, only days before,
They hailed him with hosannas and with palms.
 Where was the palsied man who walked once more?
 The beggar given sight instead of alms?
 Where were the ones who saw their children blest?
 The erstwhile lepers free to roam at will?
The dead called back as if but waked from rest?
The hungry thousands fed upon the hill?
 Aye, even as he heard the taunting jeers
 On that dark morning of a darker day,
Peter was wasting precious time in tears
 And faithless Judas went the coward's way.
 I was a ruler sent from other lands.
 I worshipped other gods. Though I could see
 No fault in Him, I did but wash my hands
 To put aside responsibility.
And yet my heart was heavy. Had there been
 Even a few to shout for his release,
I could have told the gentle Nazarene
"I find you guiltless. Go your way in peace."
 So put not, overmuch, the blame on me.
 You who at Easter kneel again to pray,
For, more than by my indecision,
He was crucified by those who stayed away.

 MABEL FREER LOVERIDGE..

No comments:

Post a Comment