Sunday, July 6, 2014

A letter for you

I would send, you, if I could,
 A little corner of this wood;
A balsam tree with pale new tips
 Mottled by sunlight that drips
Slanting through close dusk; a lake
 Shaped like a lily pad. I'd break
Fern fronds from shady hollows, bind
A fluttering wind and send them signed
 With bird's feet, moth wings, and good wishes
 From porcupine and spotted fishes.
If I could, I'd send to you
 Silver of the foggy dew,
Lacquered gold and sunset spills
Over dark, uneven hills,
Shadow of green bough that lies
Where slow moving water tries
To pull it from the shore. I'd wrap
Morning in leaves that overlap,
Tie it with wild grape tendrils, and
Let the wind put it in your hand.
But since I can do nothing better,
I send you an ordinary letter,
There is not much to tell, I write
Swift drowsy day, cool quiet night,
A swim in clear blue water, then
Morning, gold noon, and night again
 I send my love. You cannot see
Fern gardens on a rock. Near me
 A crooked path goes through the wood.
I would send it to you if I could.

LOUISE DRISCOLL

No comments:

Post a Comment