Thursday, May 23, 2013

A WOMAN'S QUESTION


Do you know you have asked for the costliest thing
   Ever made by the Hand above­
A woman's heart and a woman's life,
   And a woman's wonderful love?

Do you know you have asked for this priceless thing
   As a child might ask for a toy?
Demanding what others have died to win,
   With the reckless dash of a boy.

You have written my lesson of duty out,
   Manlike, you have questioned me;
Now stand at the bar of my womans’ soul
   Until I shall question thee.

You require your mutton shall always be hot,
   Your socks and your shirt shall be whole;
I require your heart shall be true as God's stars,
   As pure as heaven your soul.

You require a cook for your mutton and beef;
   I require a far better thing;
A seamstress you're wanting for stockings and shirts-­
   I look for a man and a king.

A king for a beautiful realm called Home,
   And a man that the maker, God,
Shall look upon as He did the first,
   And say "It is very good."

I am fair and young, but the roses will fade
   From my soft young cheek one day;
Will you love me, then, 'mid the falling leaves.
   As you did 'mid the bloom of May?

Is your heart an ocean so wide and deep
   I may launch my all on its tide?
A loving woman finds heaven or hell
   On the day she is made a bride.

I require all things that are grand and true,
   All things that a man should be;
If you would give this all, I would stake my life
   To be all you demand of me.

If you cannot do this, a laundress and cook
   You hire with little pay;
But a woman's heart and a woman's life
   Are not to be won that way.
                                  Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

No comments:

Post a Comment