Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Cyrano dying

LE BRET
Delirious­ and all that learning­-

CYRANO
            On the other hand, we have Copernicus­

ROXANE
Oh!

CYRANO (More and more delirious)
"Very well, But what the devil was he doing there?­What the devil was he doing there, up there?" . . .
            (He declaims)
            Philosopher and scientist, poet, musician, duellist­
            He flew high, and fell back again! A pretty wit-whose like we lack­
            A lover. . . not like other men. . . . here lies Hercule-Savinien De Cyrano de Bergerac­
Who was all things-and all in vain!  Well, I must go-pardon- I cannot stay! My moonbeam comes to carry me away. . . .
(He falls back into the chair, half fainting. The sobbing of ROXANE recalls him to reality. Grad­ually his mind comes back to him. He looks at her, stroking the veil that hides her hair.)
I would not have you mourn any the less that good, brave, noble Christian; but perhaps­
I ask you only this-when the great cold gathers around my bones, that you may give
A double meaning to your widow's weeds and the tears you let fall for him may be
For a little-my tears. . . .

ROXANE (Sobbing)
            Oh, my love I . . .

CYRANO (Suddenly shaken as with a fever fit, he raises him­ self erect and pushes her away.)
-Not here!­ Not lying down! . . .  Let no one help me-no one !­ Only the tree. . . .
            (He sets his back against the trunk. Pause.)
            It is coming. . . I feel already shod with marble. . . gloved with lead. . .
(Joyously)
Let the old fellow come now! He shall find me on my feet-sword in hand-
(Draws his sword.)

            LE BRET
Cyrano !

­ROXANE (Half fainting)
Oh, Cyrano!

CYRANO
I can see him there-he grins­
He is looking at my nose-that skeleton
-What's that you say? Hopeless?-Why, very well! ­But a man does not fight merely to win!
No-no-better to know one fights in vain! . . . You there- Who are you? A hundred against one­
I know them now, my ancient enemies­
(He lunges at the empty air.)
Falsehood! . . . There! There! Prejudice- Compromise­ Cowardice-(Thrusting)
What's that? No! Surrender? No! Never-never! . . .
Ah, you too, Vanity! I knew you would overthrow me in the end­- No! I fight on! I fight on! I fight on!
(He swings the blade in great circles, then pauses, gasping. When he speaks again, it is in another tone.)
Yes, all my laurels you have riven away and all my roses; yet in spite of you,
There is one crown. I bear away with me, and to-night, when I enter before God,
My salute shall sweep all the stars away from the blue threshold! One thing without stain,
Unspotted from the world, in spite of doom mine own!-      .
(He springs forward, his sword aloft.)
            And that is . . .
(The sword escapes from his hand; he totters, and falls into the arms of LE BRET and RAGUENEAU.)

ROXANE  (Bends over him and kisses him on the forehead.)
            -That is . . .

CYRANO   (Opens his eyes and smiles up at her.)

            My white plume. . . .      (Curtain)

No comments:

Post a Comment