Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Cyrano the brave

Pouring my men down like an avalanche,
I myself led the charge
­
            CYRANO
(Without looking up from his book.)
            And your white scarf?

            DE GUICHE  
(Surprised and gratified)
You heard that episode? Yes-rallying
My men for the third time, I found myself
Carried among a crowd of fugitives
Into the enemy's lines. I was in danger
Of being shot or captured; but I thought
Quickly-took off and flung away the scarf
That marked my military rank-and so
Being inconspicuous, escaped among
My own force, rallied them, returned again
And won the day! .. .
(The Cadets do not appear to be listening, but here and there the cards and the dice boxes remain motionless, the smoke is retained in their cheeks.)
            What do you say to that?
Presence of mind-yes?
           
            CYRANO I
            Henry of Navarre being out numbered, never flung away
His white plume.       
            (Silent enjoyment. The cards flutter, the dice roll, the smoke puffs out.)

            DE GUICHE
            My device was a success,
However!
            (Same attentive pause, interrupting the games and the smoking.)

            CYRANO
Possibly. . . An officer does not lightly resign the privilege of being a target.
            (Cards, dice, and smoke fall, roll, and float away with increasing satisfaction.)
Now, if I had been there­- your courage and my own differ in this-

­When your scarf fell, I should have put it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment