Sunday, July 6, 2014

fine handcrafted art vs political speech

I like to have pieces of fine handicraft around me old violins, vases, wood carvings, silverware. And, when I am fed up with the wranglings of spellbinders, diplomats, and reformers, and when the preachings of the sectarians seem empty and childish, and when the clanging and clashing of strikes, lockouts and wars makes my head ache, and when radio commentators commentate and announcers announce with too much zest, then I like to go among my treasures, and catch the quiet spirit of the artists who created them. What patience and loving care is reflected in these works. How far removed they seem from the sound and fury of the power-mad world. Once I had the privilege of looking through a magnifying glass at three miniature carvings. To the naked eye they looked like pieces of sponge and meant nothing. But through a powerful magnifying glass, they revealed some of the finest carving I have ever seen. The story is that it took the artist a lifetime to carve them. How he must have loved his work. I would rather spend my time looking at those carvings than listen to the political speeches of a dozen spellbinders.

No comments:

Post a Comment