Friday, August 15, 2014

Prayer For a Very New Angel

God, God, be lenient her first night there.
The crib she slept in was so near my bed;
Her blue and white wool blanket was so soft;
Her pillow hollowed so to fit her head.
Teach me that she'll not want small rooms or me
When she has You and Heaven's immensity!
I always left a light out in the hall.
I hoped to make her fearless in the dark.
And yet-she was so small-one little light,
Not in the room, it scarcely mattered. Hark!
No, no! She seldom cried! God, not too far
For her to see, this first night, light a star!
And, in the morning, when she first woke up,
I always kissed her on the left cheek where
The dimple was. And, oh, I wet the brush!
It made it easier to curl her hair!
Just-just to-morrow morning, God, I pray,
When she wakes up, do things for her my way!

-Violet Allen StCarey

No comments:

Post a Comment