Saturday, August 9, 2014

Tragedy

I always wanted a red balloon
 It only cost a dime,
But Ma said it was risky;
 They broke so quickly
 And besides she didn't have time.
 And even if she did, she didn't
 Think they were worth a dime.
We lived on a farm, and I only went
 To one circus and fair,
And all the balloons I ever saw were there.
There were yellow ones and blue ones
 But the kind I liked the best
 Were red, and I don't see why
She couldn't have stopped and said
That maybe I could have one
 but she didn't I suppose that now
 You can buy them anywheres,
 And that they still sell red ones
At circuses and fairs.
 I got 'a little money saved;
 I got a lot of time.
 got no one to tell me how
And where to spend my dime;
Plenty of balloons-but somehow
 There's something died inside of me
 And I don't want one now.

Jill Spargur

No comments:

Post a Comment