Saturday, August 2, 2014

Jeanie With The Light Brown Hair

I dream of Jeanie with the light brown hair,
Borne, like a vapor, on the summer air;
I see her tripping where the bright streams play,
 Happy as the daisies that dance on her way.
Many were the wild notes her merry voice would pour,
 Many were the blithe birds that warbled them o'er: 
Oh! I dream of Jeanie with the light brown hair,
 Floating, like a vapor, on the summer air.
 I long for Jeanie with the day-dawn smile,
 Radiant in gladness, warm with winning guile;
I hear her melodies, like joys gone by,
Sighing round my heart o'er the fond hopes that die:
Sighing like the wind and sobbing like the rain,
 Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
 Oh! I long for Jeanie, and my heart bows low,
 Never more to find her where the bright waters flow.

Stephen Foster

No comments:

Post a Comment