Wednesday, May 15, 2013

THE HIGHWAYMAN


 When Death rides down on me,
Like a highwayman on a lonely road,
And gives the sharp, inevitable command,
 "Stand and deliver,"
I shall not struggle as he snatches
All the bright jewels of memory
Which I have saved so long.
The glittering triumphs,
The glowing pleasures,
The bright coins of golden hopes fulfilled,
Let him take them all, if he but leave
 The memory of you;
For having this, I still have everything.
In you I have the freshness of the morning,
The slow warmth of Spring,
The sting of ocean spray against my face;
In you I have all beauty and all life.
So,
When Death rides down on me,
Like a highwayman on a lonely road,
I'll hide one jewel in the lining of my coat,
And keep it with me till the journey's end.
                                 - William Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment